Sunday, October 20, 2013

52 hours spent on boats, buses, minivans and trains

After the last 2+ days I've been through, I can officially declare myself a professional sleeper. I can sleep on a hard floor, sitting upright between two people, sprawled across three seats on a boat, on a noisy non-air conditioned bus, on an unforgiving plastic train bench and finally on my full sized guesthouse bed two minutes after I checked in.

Originally the previous three days were going to be filled with the full moon party on Koh Phangan, and I would just now be departing the island for where I am now, but the stars did not align for that. I left Krabi on Thursday, arriving at 8 pm that night after the party had begun. My boat was supposed to arrive to Koh Phangan at 5 pm, but the boat wasn't working so we had to wait close to 2 hours for a new boat, after already having my bus pick me up an hour late. Nonetheless I made it to Koh Phangan, just in time to be dropped off in an isolated part of beach in the dark. Having never been there before I booked the first hostel I could find, 500 baht per night in a 30 bed dorm. MISTAKE.

I had a grand old time watching the fire shows and sipping beer, but when I arrived back at the hostel at 2 AM, n one was back yet. I knew I was in for a long night. A fight broke out. Constant yelling, blood on the floor, broken things. When I woke up the next morning I explained to the manager how horrendous everything was that night. He gave me half my funds back and I booked a ticket off the island back to Bangkok straight away.

Arriving in Bangkok the next morning I had no intention to stay long so I booked the train north, or so I thought...

The train actually headed west to Kanchanaburi, which is a place I wanted to visit later in my trip. After a thirteen hour ride out to Erawan Falls and back, I found myself again, at square one. A little more composed I bought a ticket North to Phitsanulok which connected me to Sukhothai, my destination.

After my long journey I will relax today, catch up on rest, update my blog, research the history of this place before I head to the ruins tomorrow. Despite the mishaps I am still loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment