Monday, October 14, 2013

Ton Sai Beach = PARADISE

I don't know where to start this one. Yesterday I made my way to Ton Sai Beach from Krabi. After breakfast I went down to the pier, at 1015, to wait for a long tail boat to take me to Railey Beach, a 30 minute boat ride away. The method of hailing a boat to this place is easy from Krabi, sit on the pier and wait for ten people to show up. Then a boat driver walks up and says, let's go. I was very fortunate, as I only waited 10 minutes, this first guy to show had been waiting since 7 AM. Of course you could hire the boat for 1500 baht and leave straight away, but that is not the way of life down here for most of the travelers.

Upon arriving I walked from East Railey to West Railey, then found my way to north end of the beach. I could see Ton Sai on the other side of outcropping rocks, but how to get there I thought. I'd read to find a trail cutting over the 300 meter jungle-laden hill. I searched for 15 minutes with no luck. So, I braved the crashing water and scampered my way across the rocks for my new found paradise.

I heard rumors of 100 baht ($3.30) bungalows on the beach, with a porch you could step into the water from at high tide. Those rumors proved too good to be true in mid-October. I was stopped by a British couple as I was huffing and puffing from my his through the jungle and they pointed me in the direction of the jungle hut, 100 baht per night for a bungalow, just a 2 minute walk from the beach. Easily best accommodations for the rate ever!

The characters you meet here are equally as incredible. Italy, as some call him, is this 40 something year old dude with dreads who twirls numchuck like objects with fire burning from one end. He came to Ton Sai 7 years ago and supposedly has never left really. Mexi is this local who buys all the girls drinks and sets up a ton of slack lines for the beach visitors. Everyone is awesome. Its a big climbing hotspot. I wish I had learned back home.

I am only here until Thursday, upon when I'll head back to Krabi to catch a bus to Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party. I have some time maybe at the end of the trip, I might come back, but I won't turn into Italy.

Another cool thing I did yesterday was time lapse the sunset from a viewpoint with the sunset. Going to try to put it on Facebook within the week. But I am starting to ask people what day it is. Time has become relative.

Today I am going to chill, slack line and free climb. Tomorrow I will rent a kayak for the day and explore the cliff edges!

No comments:

Post a Comment